Random Thoughts

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Why I dislike the current state of the Batman comics

Judd Winick: I read his Batman and all my entheusiasm goes away and I'm usually left bored and wanting another writer.

The lack of new characters vs return of dead ones: Every great character started SOMEWHERE and wasn't instantly over with the fans. And you can overuse the classics like Joker and Two-Face and Ivy to the point where no one wants to see them... and then what? You're stuck with nothing because no new characters were brought in to keep things fresh. Returning characters from the dead isn't always the answer either... because you're just recycling instead of inventing.

Current state of the Bat-books: Gotham Knights is a train wreck... Nightwing is sinking faster than the Titanic... and my feelings on Winick on Batman are stated above... Tec #815 helped though.

I've read Batman a loooooong time... 22 years now and I've collected back past that... my lowest Batman issue is #38... and I've seen pinnacle's of greatness like the O'Neil-Adams run, or Rucka's run or the Englehart-Rogers-Austin run or Miller's Year one and so on... and it pisses me off that DC would dedicate an entire series to Hush (Gotham Knights) and Red Hood (Batman) and basicilly tell the same story over and over and over again without ANY resolution.

I like a sequential story that has sub-plots and mysteries and plot points that are picked up in subsequent issues. Claremont is great at it. But Winnick is not.

Tell me if you've heard this story before: Red Hood terrorizes Black Mask and kills a bunch of bad guys. Red Hood is confronted by Batman but manages to escape. I've just described the last year of Batman stories.

Here's another one. Hush terrorizes and plots against Batman. After a brief confrontation where Hush calls Batman Bruce and Batman calls Hush Tommy Hush manages a get away. Wash, rinse, repeat.

How many times can Batman act like an idiot and allow his two most constant tormentors to get away... again and again?

THAT is why I'm pissed at the current state of Batman books. No forward progression. At all. Batman looks like anidiot instead of the worlds greatest detective and there's no attempt to create any new rogues for Batman to get out of the Hush-Red Hood cycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home