Random Thoughts

Monday, June 26, 2006

All Star Superman #4 - A BRIEF Review

I finally read the issue last night and wasn't impressed.

SO I re-read it this morning (thinking maybe fresh eyes and a (semi) bright mind might help... it didn't.

The art I found to be the weakest of the 4 issues... especially the pics of Superman. The picture of Superman on the page (can't remember which) where they discover the Black Kryptonite (he's in the lower laft panel) is HORRIBLE. Worst. Superman. Ever.

I don't know if Quitley is modelling Supes after Jay Leno... but it sure looks like it.

Also, considering how late the book has been I would have hoped for more backgrounds then we ended up with. Quitley's good, but his art isn't spectacular enough to warrant the lateness of the book, coupled with the fact 1/2 of it has no backgrounds. The colourist, Jamie Grant, really saves the book.

As for the rest of the stuff I liked parts of it... Jimmy in drag was great as was Jimmy as Doomsday. Morrison really nailed a day in the life of Jimmy with this one. I also LOVE that everything is self contained with no mega crossover events or 12 part stories.

I didn't like the complete Silver Age feel I got... I've read this stuff before... I don't want to spend $4.00 CDN to read it again. It's fun, but a fast read.

To recap: Hated #1... liked 2... loved 3 (best issue thus far IMO) and was ho-hum for issue 4.

2 Comments:

  • All Star Superman isn't "late", it's been solisited as a bi-monthly title since the beginning-- a schedule which it has kept, rather admirabley in comparison to All Star Batman & Robin.

    By Blogger Christopher Green, at 1:03 AM  

  • ... that makes it even WORSE! He's given extra time and we STILL don't get decent backgrounds in the art!!!

    By Blogger He Said... She Said, at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home