Random Thoughts

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Why I don't try more Indy comics

For me there are a few reasons:

Budget: I only have $X amont of dollars to spend on comics and I have a decent collection of books I like that I already get. all but 2 are Marvel and DC.

My LCS: Assuming I COULD spend more my LCS doesn't carry much beyond pull lists, so anything on the racks is from DC or Marvel, with a bit of Image and Dark Horse.

Exposure: I like reading what I am familiar with... and I'm more familiar with Batman or Spider-Man than any Indy book.

I have tried indy's in the past... I got into Jinx, Powers and recently Invincible through word of mouth and am currently reading Red Sonja (love Mel Rubi's art!). I must admit that I don't like that a lot of indies are basically dramatic pieces/slice-of-life kind of stuff but I like comics primarily for superhero stuff!

The thing it comes down to most is MONEY. Not enough to go around and the prices just keep going up which actually causes me to DROP Marvel and DC books.

4 Comments:

  • Actually I am reading more Indy stuff lately... a friend loaned me Walking Dead, Y theLast Man and Ultra and I LOVE them!

    I do have some Powers issues and have borrowed a friends trades to read what I missed... and loved that.

    Any other suggestions?

    By Blogger He Said... She Said, at 9:13 PM  

  • I'm in the same boat as you my friend - except that it's mostly Marvel that gets my $$$ - 2 DC titles is a drop in the ocean compared to my Marvel purchases!

    I get far more enjoyment out of the mainstream for my money than I do on most Indies. However, the one that I picked up and enjoyed recently was called "Mouse Guard". The art is beautiful, and the story is simple and approaching, yet interesting.

    I found some preview pages here: http://www.aspcomics.com/mouse_guard_preview.html

    I think you can read most of the first issue at that link!

    By Blogger Donovan Yaciuk, at 7:27 AM  

  • Donovan, how many Marvel books do you get?

    Marvel is about 50% of my weekly purchase and DC is about 50% each week... with mini series' usually giving one company a weekly edge... but it always swings back.

    I get roughly 20 from each company with 2 or 3 independants (which are mostly Red Sonja's from Dynamite).

    By Blogger He Said... She Said, at 10:30 AM  

  • 20 books from each publisher!!? Wow. I'm going to let my wife read this! I'm afraid to tell her that I get 10-12 books in total every month! ;)

    My list breaks down like this (plus I pick up a few scattered Marvels here and there if I like the art or colouring!):
    Marvel
    Young Avengers
    Annihilation: Nova
    Brubaker's Daredevil
    Amazing Spider-Man
    The Sentry
    She-Hulk
    Civil War (I'm going to try a bunch of tie ins as well!)
    The Thing (starting with issue #8)

    Trade Paperbacks
    Brubaker's Captain America
    Marvel Masterworks

    DC
    Warlord
    Aquaman

    I just couldn't get into the DCs Crisis stuff. I tried to read an issue, and had absolutely NO clue as to what was going on!

    By Blogger Donovan Yaciuk, at 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home